Oral Cancer Exam
Cancer is defined as the uncontrollable growth of cells that invade and cause damage to surrounding tissue (oral cancer often appears as a growht or sore in the mouth that does not go away). Oral cancer, which includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and pharynx (throat), can be life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early.
The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Swellings/thickenings, lumps or bumps, rough spots/crusts/or eroded areas on the lips, gums, or other areas inside the mouth
- The development of velvety white, red, or speckled (white and red) patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained numbness, loss of feeling, or pain/tenderness in any area of the face, mouth, or neck
- Persistent sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and do not heal within 2 weeks
- A soreness or feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness, chronic sore throat, or change in voice
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
- Ear pain
- Dramatic weight loss
If you notice any of these changes, contact Dr. Mark Luzania to schedule an appointment.
One of the many benefits of coming to Dr. Luzania in Reedley for your comprehensive dental exam is that we will provide you with an oral cancer exam. We will examine and feel for any lumps or irregular tissue changes in your tongue, throat, face, lips, neck, gums, and tissues for any signs of oral cancer. In order to catch cancer at its earliest, it is important to regularly attend your scheduled check-ups.